Posts for: April, 2018
A bunion is a foot condition that is considered a deformity—it changes the entire shape of your foot. It isn’t an issue that you want to keep dealing with every day, and you definitely don’t want it to get worse. Bunions look and feel extremely uncomfortable. Explore the various bunion treatment options available from Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, MS.
How You Know It’s a Bunion
When you run your hand along the inside of your foot, you normally should only feel a small bump or indentation at the base of the big toe. When that bump enlarges due to the big toe pushing inward, it is called a bunion. The bump is actually the toe joint (also called the metatarsophalangeal joint) moving out of its proper alignment.
Bunion Treatment Options
There are a few different ways that your Southaven podiatrist can treat your case of bunions. The ideal treatment will depend on how large the bunion is, your joint health and other factors. Here are common treatment options to discuss with your foot doctor:
- A custom-made orthotic device, which will reposition the foot so that the joint can stabilize.
- Special padding is worn inside of shoes to stop painful friction.
- Joint exercises to make the toe more flexible so that the joint can move back into its right position.
- Splints to wear while sleeping.
- Injections to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Bunionectomy (surgical removal of the bunion and realignment).
Life After Bunions
Imagine the relief you will feel when your bunions are finally gone. No more pain and no more embarrassing moments when you take off your shoes. It’s up to you to prevent the bunions from returning—wear proper footwear and continue to observe your podiatrist’s recommended treatment. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.
Get Help at Your Podiatrist’s Office
Explore the treatment options for your case of bunions at Family Podiatric Physician & Surgeon in Southaven, MS. Call the office at (662) 349-7333 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Brian Shwer.