If you have diabetes, you probably already know a lot about how it affects your body. Did you know diabetes can also dramatically affect your feet, causing potentially serious problems? Fortunately, there are several ways you and your podiatrist can take care of your feet. Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi offers a full range of podiatry services, including diabetic foot care to keep your feet in good health.
These are just a few of the foot and toe problems you may suffer from if you are diabetic. You may not feel injuries to your toes or feet because diabetes can cause loss of sensation due to nerve injury. If you do injure your feet or toes, the injury may not heal as quickly. You also may not be able to feel if your shoes are too tight. This can cause issues such as blisters and calluses, which can become larger problems if not treated.
It’s important to follow a few simple steps to protect your feet. Remember to:
- Wash and dry your feet every day
- Apply moisturizing cream to your feet and toes daily to keep them soft
- Examine your feet and toes for cuts, blisters, or sores. If you do suffer a cut, make sure to visit Dr. Shwer promptly
- Stretch your arches, toes and ankles every day to keep them flexible
- Wear protective shoes and avoid going barefoot
- Wear the appropriate shoes for the sport or activity you are doing
For more detailed information about diabetic foot care, please visit the Diabetic Foot Care section on Dr. Shwer’s website at https://www.footpaindoctor.net/diabetic-foot-care.html
Remember to schedule regular visits with your podiatrist, especially if you are diabetic. Foot problems can be prevented with prompt treatment, so pick up the phone and call Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi today.