Posts for tag: Calluses
How your podiatrist in Southaven, Mississippi can help your feet feel better.
If you are struggling with bunion pain, you already know how frustrating it can be. Even putting on shoes can be painful. You may feel like spending your life on the couch! You don’t have to deal with bunions on your own. Your podiatrist can help. Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi has several effective treatments for bunions and other foot issues.
So, how do you know if you have a bunion? It will appear as a large, bony bump on the side of your big toe. You may barely notice it at first, but as it rubs against the inside of your shoe, it will grow bigger, and more painful.
You can do a lot to prevent bunions by wearing wider shoes. Wearing shoes that are too narrow can cause a bunion to form by crushing your toes together. Wearing high-heels only adds to the problem by forcing your toes forward.
If you have a small bunion, you can use some simple tricks to get your foot feeling better. Try:
- Changing to wider shoes
- Wearing inserts, cushions, or pads inside your shoes
- Taping the bunion to cushion and support it
Larger bunions often require the help of an expert, your podiatrist. Dr. Shwer has several effective treatments to eliminate bunions for good. He may recommend:
- Removing corns and calluses to reduce friction
- Custom-made orthotics and footwear to add support
- Night splints to help realign your toe joint
- Exercises and physical therapy to increase mobility
- Surgical treatment may also be recommended if the bunion is large and painful. This procedure, called a bunionectomy, removes the bunion and realigns the toe.
You don’t have to let bunions keep you from enjoying your life. Get some help for bunion pain and other foot problems by calling Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi. Call today and help your feet feel better tomorrow!