Posts for tag: bunions
How your podiatrist in Southaven, Mississippi can help your feet feel better.
If you are struggling with bunion pain, you already know how frustrating it can be. Even putting on shoes can be painful. You may feel like spending your life on the couch! You don’t have to deal with bunions on your own. Your podiatrist can help. Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi has several effective treatments for bunions and other foot issues.
So, how do you know if you have a bunion? It will appear as a large, bony bump on the side of your big toe. You may barely notice it at first, but as it rubs against the inside of your shoe, it will grow bigger, and more painful.
You can do a lot to prevent bunions by wearing wider shoes. Wearing shoes that are too narrow can cause a bunion to form by crushing your toes together. Wearing high-heels only adds to the problem by forcing your toes forward.
If you have a small bunion, you can use some simple tricks to get your foot feeling better. Try:
- Changing to wider shoes
- Wearing inserts, cushions, or pads inside your shoes
- Taping the bunion to cushion and support it
Larger bunions often require the help of an expert, your podiatrist. Dr. Shwer has several effective treatments to eliminate bunions for good. He may recommend:
- Removing corns and calluses to reduce friction
- Custom-made orthotics and footwear to add support
- Night splints to help realign your toe joint
- Exercises and physical therapy to increase mobility
- Surgical treatment may also be recommended if the bunion is large and painful. This procedure, called a bunionectomy, removes the bunion and realigns the toe.
You don’t have to let bunions keep you from enjoying your life. Get some help for bunion pain and other foot problems by calling Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, Mississippi. Call today and help your feet feel better tomorrow!
A bunion is a foot condition that is considered a deformity—it changes the entire shape of your foot. It isn’t an issue that you want to keep dealing with every day, and you definitely don’t want it to get worse. Bunions look and feel extremely uncomfortable. Explore the various bunion treatment options available from Dr. Brian Shwer in Southaven, MS.
How You Know It’s a Bunion
When you run your hand along the inside of your foot, you normally should only feel a small bump or indentation at the base of the big toe. When that bump enlarges due to the big toe pushing inward, it is called a bunion. The bump is actually the toe joint (also called the metatarsophalangeal joint) moving out of its proper alignment.
Bunion Treatment Options
There are a few different ways that your Southaven podiatrist can treat your case of bunions. The ideal treatment will depend on how large the bunion is, your joint health and other factors. Here are common treatment options to discuss with your foot doctor:
- A custom-made orthotic device, which will reposition the foot so that the joint can stabilize.
- Special padding is worn inside of shoes to stop painful friction.
- Joint exercises to make the toe more flexible so that the joint can move back into its right position.
- Splints to wear while sleeping.
- Injections to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Bunionectomy (surgical removal of the bunion and realignment).
Life After Bunions
Imagine the relief you will feel when your bunions are finally gone. No more pain and no more embarrassing moments when you take off your shoes. It’s up to you to prevent the bunions from returning—wear proper footwear and continue to observe your podiatrist’s recommended treatment. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.
Get Help at Your Podiatrist’s Office
Explore the treatment options for your case of bunions at Family Podiatric Physician & Surgeon in Southaven, MS. Call the office at (662) 349-7333 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Brian Shwer.